Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Music Monday's Tuesday debut

Our friends 50 toes posts favorite music clips they title 'Music Mondays', and invited others to join in. I'll bite. I've avoided the whole YouTube scene for much the same reason as we turned off our DirectTV feed - it's a time drain with virtually no lasting value. So pardon my surprise and amazement when I discovered the unbelievable wealth of great music videos when I began research to take up the 50 toes challenge! So here it goes.....

One insane tidbit of info I have etched in my mind from my misspent early teen days was an interview of Eddie Van Halen on MTV News with Kurt Loder. I was a huge Van Halen fan, the year was 1982, the band had just released Diver Down (with Hang 'Em High a hit) and Kurt Loder asks Eddie what it was like to be the greatest guitar player in the world. He said 'I dunno, go ask Phil Keaggy'. Phil WHO I asked???? I never heard Phil Keaggy's name again for over 15 years. Then I saw him live in concert with my friend Drew Ham in Colorado Springs, and realized that he is, in fact, the greatest guitarist ever recorded. The clip below is the tip of the ice berg. When you watch this, keep in mind he is playing solo, with no backup recording. Read this article to hear how he uses digital delay/sampling effects to build and overlay tracks live. Barb and I went to see him live 8 years ago - he often plays in coffee houses and small theaters. It's a great night out if you can catch a tour stop in your hometown!

Here's Phil Keaggy in Salvation Army Band. It's over nine minutes long. Get another cup of coffee and enjoy....



I've got several months of clips already in the queue, so until next time..... :)

4 comments:

60 toes said...

How fun, I am so glad you joined. I will enjoy coming back next week.

I loved Phil Keaggy in High School. Thanks for the song.

-C

GoughRMAK said...

I was a HUGE Van Halen fan as well (actually have a couple of dusty CD's tucked away). I would NEVER imagined that Eddie would have a clue who Phil Keaggy was. I know I never heard of him until a few years ago.

Great Video.

GoughRMAK said...

Love the new music player. Is it more user friendly than the other one?

Rich

60 toes said...

I love the Mr. Wendell song. :)

-C