Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sights and sounds of Apizaco

Today's camp was bien (I learned the difference between bien, buen, and bueno today, the three ways to say 'good' in spanish!). Today a sixteen year old boy joined us, having been invited by John during his walk through the neighborhood the previous day. Julio was the oldest of the kids, and was given the option to help me with the soccer drills. He was a terrific addition to our camp, as I found myself without any interpreters for most of the day. Julio was sharp, and picked up everything I was trying to show him, and did a great job herding the kids into action!

Several other random observations while driving and walking the streets of Apizaco and San Bartolo that I wanted to capture for my later recollection:
  • The walls around homes have an ingenius security system - shards of glass stick up from the mortar - probably a hundred per linear foot!
  • Most of the auto repair shops do their work right on the street - parallel parked with the car standing on a lone jack with the handle pointed out into traffic!
  • The food markets are jaw-dropping, with fish, pork, and chicken hanging raw for hours (and supposedly for days) in the heat for sale!

Many more, but time is up, need to run to begin making more eyeglasses.

No comments: