Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Yo hablo poquito Espanol, pero estoy tengo mejor, no? No!

It's hard to believe the week is nearly over. Tomorrow (Thursday) is our last day hosting the camp. We depart for the Mexico City airport at 5am Friday morning.

I opened today's camp asking the older kids (aged 10 and up) this question - "I speak little Spanish, but I'm getting better, no?" Their answer was a chuckles, followed by "No!" I've taken quite an interest in trying to draw from my faint recollection of Spanish classes in High School to communicate with the kids, and the pastor Eduardo, in their native tongue. I think I'm wearing out my new friends from Puebla with 'Como se dice.....' (how do you say....) to grasp at understanding the language. I know I've asked five times over how to say that one of the soccer balls is flat - their patience is a living example of Job of Old Testament time! While I still can't carry a conversation in Spanish, I am beginning to piece together bits and pieces by listening to others (although I had no chance following the rapid-fire rants and chants given by Lis and Pepe at tonight's Copa de Americana futbol game!). Given the rapidly expanding Latino community of our Southern Maryland area, I'm feeling a call to continue studying in an effort to be able to be semi-fluent in their native tongue. I would love nothing more than to have the opportunity to return to San Bartolo next year and be able to speak directly with the kids vice hand signals and an occasional interpreter.

No comments: