Saturday, December 22, 2007

Blue Ribbon Googled-Last-Night Red Bean Chili

This October our church celebrated it's 25th anniversary with a huge fall picnic. The Men's Ministry held a chili cook-off challenge. Over 20 men across the church were talking it up. Some pulled their family's secret recipe out of retirement. One commented on how he had been soaking (Barb calls it marinating) his beef for two days to get the right zing. I had decided to cook a pot to help feed the masses (a male's version of a pot luck dinner). I enjoy chili, but my couple attempts at cooking it was average at best. So I did the next logical thing - I googled for a new recipe. At 6pm the night before the cook-off.

I shopped at Giant that night, threw everything the recipe called for into a crock pot. And slept. The next day was showdown at the OK Corral. There was some jockeying, some jabbing, some posturing (all in fun) by most. I stayed out of it lest I be found for the poser that I was. There was some good chili that day, and mine didn't hold water against some of them. But what mattered was the judge's results, and in the end this Google recipe (which I can't even trace now) was the near unanimous choice for Best of Show. Three of four judges voted this #1 out of 22, the fourth judge tallied it #2. I've made it four times since, and it continues to receive rave reviews. Head and shoulders above the rest, I now gladly share with you the Blue Ribbon Googled-Last-Night Red Bean Chili recipe.

Ingredients:
3 lbs. ground beef
1 (really) lg. yellow onion
1 (really) lg. green pepper
2 (28 oz.) cans Furmano’s chunky crushed tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
2 (10 oz.) cans Rotel tomatoes (Original flavor)
2 (16 oz.) cans Goya red kidney beans
2 (15 oz.) cans Hormel Chili Hot with Beans (yes, Hormel)
Diced jalapeƱo peppers to taste (I use about 1 Tbsp)
Chili powder to taste (I use about 1.5 Tbsp.)
Adobo seasoning to taste (I use about 1 Tbsp.)
Black pepper to taste (I use about 1.5 Tbsp.)
Raw sugar to taste (I use about 1 Tbsp.)


Directions:
Brown beef. Chop then saute onion and green pepper. Throw everything into large crock pot. Cook 8-10 hrs on Low. Best if refrigerated and warmed the next day. Makes 6 quarts.

3 comments:

Smith, Smith, Smith & Smith said...

Dude,

I made your chili for a chili cook-off, and it came in third . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and there were only THREE entries!!!! I was embarassed, to say the least.

Also, where did you get your IPod speaker thingy that sits (or used to) on your fridge?

Bill Darden said...

Sir Kraig: Don't know what to say, my friend, other than I told you not to move to Wyoming. I'll give you a sample of the typical responses I get from those who know how to appreciate food.....

Wow! Your chili was really tasty!! Did you follow e a recipe or are you like most...put in a little of this and a little of that. It's never the same twice. :-) If you do happen to have a recipe, can I please have a copy of it?

You were right about "white bowl, white bowl!" Complements to the chef! :)

:)

Sarah said...

If you had Googled "debilitatingly neurotic chili" you might have found this:

http://littlejoys.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/it-isnt-spring-yet-lets-make-chili/

...and won 1's across the board, my friend.